Friday, December 9, 2011

Fangirl Favourites of 2011


With the year drawing to a close, I thought I’d share my most played tracks, artists and albums of the year, as well as my favourite newly discovered artists. Bear in mind that very few of these albums/songs actually came out this year…I have weird taste, alright? These stats all come from my Last.fm account, and some of them even managed to surprise me! They were, however, slightly skewed by the fact that I listened to Kings Of Leon almost incessantly for several weeks before seeing them live, in an attempt to learn every single word of every single song that they would play (and I was successful).

Top Played Artists of 2011:

1)      Coldplay
2)      Kings Of Leon
3)      The Killers
4)      The Gaslight anthem
5)      The Script
6)      Taylor Swift
7)      Hey Monday
8)      The  Vaccines
9)       Paramore
10)    Brandon Flowers

Oh goodness me, I only discovered The Gaslight Anthem in August! Imagine if I’d been listening to them all year, they’d definitely have been number one!

Top Played Songs of 2011:

1)      The ‘59 Sound- The Gaslight Anthem
2)      Paradise- Coldplay
3)      Even Cowgirls Get The Blues- The Gaslight Anthem
4)      Fans- Kings Of Leon
5)      Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall- Coldplay
6)      Back Down South- Kings Of Leon
7)      Pyro- Kings Of Leon
8)      Charmer- Kings Of Leon
9)      Film Noir­­- The Gaslight Anthem
10)   Meet Me By The River’s Edge­- The Gaslight Anthem

Wow! This kind of makes it look like I have no variety in music taste and simply listen to a few favourite bands. I assure you, I’m really very diverse! I do, however, have a couple of obsessions.

Top Played Albums of 2011:

1)      The ’59 Sound­- The Gaslight Anthem
2)      Come Around Sundown- Kings Of Leon
3)      Mylo Xyloto- Coldplay
4)      Only By The Night­- Kings Of Leon
5)      Because of the Times­- Kings Of Leon
6)      Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends­- Coldplay
7)      Science  & Faith- The Script
8)      What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?- The Vaccines
9)      Flamingo- Brandon Flowers
10)   Hold On Tight- Hey Monday

I think I’ve re-enforced my borderline-OCD Kings Of Leon obsession…

Favourite New Bands of 2011 (in no particular order):

I don’t care if they didn’t form in 2011, these are bands that I discovered this year. I’ve left out The Gaslight Anthem, I’m pretty sure that by now you realize that I love them a lot.

·         The Vaccines
·         Foster The People
·         Mumford & Sons
·         Hey Monday
·         Most Thieves

Favourite Live Performances of 2011:

1)      Coldplay at FNB Stadium- Without a doubt, the best live band I have ever seen. Explosive, stunning, perfect.
2)      Kings of Leon at FNB Stadium- I’d have preferred to have been pressed up against the barrier, but who really cares? It’s Kings Of Leon, for goodness sake, they’re rock gods!
3)      The Script at the Grand Arena, Grandwest- A beautiful performance, for which I had possibly the best barrier spot that I’ve ever had at a concert.
4)      The Parlotones at FNB Stadium (with Coldplay)- I’ve seen these guys live three times, and they just keep on getting better!
5)      Freshly Ground at East Coast Radio Durban Day- This band was definitely the highlight of my day! Extremely entertaining and beautifully executed performance.



Well, that was fun, wasn’t it? I feel like my music taste has definitely changed this year, and become a lot more alternative. Last year’s top albums included Taylor Swift, Mika, and Owl City, all of whom I still appreciate, but no longer listen to quite as often. In addition to all of the artists mentioned, my love of country music has strengthened by a great amount, but that will be the subject of a whole other blog post…

No comments:

Post a Comment