Monday, October 17, 2011

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto

I'm not a fan of leaks, and usually I'd never have listened to the newly leaked 'Mylo Xyloto', by Coldplay, but seeing I will definitely still buy it as soon as it's in the shops, I let my self control wane, and listened to the album. 

Only a few hours ago, I found myself highly unimpressed with the usually-infallible Chris Martin upon first hearing the much-awaited Rihanna duet; 'Princess of China'. Mine is a very unpopular opinion, but I simply do not like the song. To me it sounds like a Rihanna song with a few Chris Martin vocals thrown in for fun. Now, I have nothing against Rihanna, but I do feel as though this song will become a sensation and do amazingly on the charts thanks to the fact that she features on it. Now that's all fine and well, but it saddens me because I feel that Coldplay simply do not get enough attention and credit for their own work. Anyway, that's my own opinion, and if you like the song, then I am sincerely happy for you. 

Now, onto the rest of the album. 'Hurts Like Heaven' was already my favourite on the album after hearing it live, but after hearing the studio version, I can safely say that this song is nothing short of brilliant. The studio versions of 'Charlie Brown' and 'Major Minus' also sound great (personally, I live for concerts, but find studio versions easier to get into upon first hearing a song). 

The instrumental interludes, 'Mylo Xyloto', 'M.M.I.X' and 'A Hopeful Transmission' fit perfectly in their positions in the album, and add interest and something different to the album. It really feels as if it flows, instead of simply being a collection of tracks, as so many albums are. This is clearly why the term 'concept album' can be used to describe Mylo Xyloto. 

I began to smile when I reached 'U.F.O'. It is so Coldplay! That is the only way I can describe this slower song, and Coldplay fans will understand why. The band proves that although all the sensationalism of some of the other tracks sounds great, all they really need is their instruments and Chris's vocals to produce a superb song. The same hold true for 'Up In Flames', which is soft, sweet, and utter perfection.

'Don't Let It Break Your Heart' is nothing short of an epic track, I cannot begin to imagine how purely magical this song will sound live. It reminds me a tiny bit of 'Lovers in Japan', leading, once again, to my conclusion that Coldplay's style has not changed entirely. 'Up With The Birds' is another pure Coldplay song which would not have been out of place on their previous album,Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

Singles 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' and 'Paradise' are on the album too, I've always loved these two songs, and my opinion has not changed. They fit perfectly with the rest of the album, the entirety of which is an eclectic mix of slow, almost acoustic songs, radio-friendly pop-ish hits, and stadium-style rock songs. In my opinion, Coldplay have produced yet another masterpiece, and they can look forward so much continued success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment