Admit it; we all have guilty pleasures when it comes to music. Whether you’re the cheerleader, dance music-obsessed girl with a secret stash of MCR albums, or the hardcore metal dude with a closet love for Mika, everyone has some dirty little music secrets that we’d rather people not know about. Now, I’m usually a rock/alternative child, but oh well, at risk of throwing myself to the sharks, I’m going to reveal my top 5 musical guilty pleasures.
5) ABBA- I’m sure I’m not alone in this one. Yes, I know all the words to “Fernando”, and yes, I’ve been known to sing it in my head when someone mentions the name in general conversation. Yes, I’ve danced around my room to “Dancing Queen”, and yes, I’ve attracted some odd stares when singing along to “Mama Mia” in public. So what?
4) American Country- I don’t just mean normal country, I mean Alan Jackson, Carlene Carter and who knows who else singing songs along the lines of “Hillbilly Rock, Hillbilly Roll” and “Dancin’ With Elvis”. I happen to have an entire album full of these gems, and I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t think they’re catchy, at the very least. All together now “Up on the mountain, way outta town, it’s Saturday night and the folks gather round…”
3) Katy Perry- Most people adore Katy, but most people aren’t me. ‘The One That Got Away’, for example, is the very type of song that would usually result in me pretending to gag before turning the radio off. However, it happens to be one of my very favourite songs. You can psycho-analyse me all you want at this point, but in reality it’s simply because it’s an adorable song. I love Katy, the end.
2) Taylor Swift- Shock, horror! This sweet-as-sugar little country-pop darling is one of my favourite artists at the moment. I don’t care that she only sings about heartbreak and men, she’s a decent girl and a breath of fresh air in a music industry filled with rappers and popstars singing about taking each other’s clothes off. Every once in a while, I enjoy a break from the serious music that I usually listen to and Taylor’s cute lyrics provide exactly that.
1) Westlife- I know, I know, its boyband pop at its cheesiest, but I can’t deny My Love for Westlife. Whether I want to cry my eyes out over how much I miss my childhood, cheer myself up when I’m sad, or simply kill time on a road trip, Westlife are my go-to guys. Their songs are ingrained in my head from years upon years of singing along, and I struggle to find a childhood memory without a Westlife song attached to it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to listen to the Coast To Coast album and think about the good old days…
Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to music?