Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Cape Town

What kind of a fangirl doesn't get concert tickets the day the things go on sale? A very, very bad fangirl. Or perhaps one who's just gotten off a plane from England, tired, aching and still bearing a sheen of residual mud from Reading Festival.

Yes, the day Big Concerts decided to announce RHCP, I was still in London, and the most excitement I could muster was an 'oh', followed by a collapse into my bed, where I stayed for the next 24 hours til I boarded the plane home. This put tickets on sale the day after I returned, and I couldn't give a damn. I don't even really remember the hype around getting tickets, I was still sleeping off Reading. And of course, reveling in the fact that Dave Grohl had been mere meters from me a few days before - who needs Chili Peppers when you have Foo Fighters, right? Plus, I after four days of Reading, I couldn't have faced another concert if you'd paid me. Maybe I'd get a ticket closer to the time, but I didn't really care at the time. What I wasn't anticipating was tickets selling out so quickly! Oh well, I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be going, and life moved on for five full months. About two weeks ago, however, I decided that I was absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable for me not to attend, and so I needed to make a plan.

Now, if you know me at all, you'll know that no matter how harebrained my schemes may sound, if I put my mind to something, I can usually get it right. It was easy enough to find a friend of a friend selling tickets, slightly more worrying to leave the poor things in the post, and even more worrying when internet banking decided that I simply could not pay for the them, but all worked out eventually. In my hand I held two seated tickets to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers live in Cape Town. Ha! I win.

Some people study really, really hard for exams, but I was never one of those people. Present me with a setlist, however, and it's a different story altogether. Yes, I compiled a list of most likely songs, and I've existed on nothing but a diet of these 20 songs for the past 10 days or so. It's getting a little ridiculous, I kind of want to rip my brain out whenever Snow gets stuck in it, but I shall refrain.

So, they day has finally arrived, I've checked and re-checked my tickets at least 25 times, I've still got my setlist on repeat and I'm all rearing to go. Sadly, seeing I have seats it would be a little daft to queue at 2pm for a concert that will probably only start after 8am, but I still feel uneasy sitting at home when there's a concert tonight. As I told a co-worker as I left the office about an hour ago "If I had standing tickets, I'd be there already!" He thought I was nuts. Oh well.

On my way home, I did a sneaky sneaky past the stadium to see quite a few fans already waiting in line to see the show tonight. I also had to resist the urge to don dark glasses and sit outside the One & Only hoping to catch a glimpse of Anthony and company (most of the big bands stay at this hotel), but let me not be creepy...

There is nothing like the thrill and elation of a concert to look forward to: as I make my way into that stadium, I'll experience the emotions normal people feel when they're in love or something. Go ahead and tell me to get a life... I'll teil you this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment