Friday, July 29, 2011

Cries of A Broken-Hearted Fangirl

So, there's this band that I've absolutely adored since 2004. I was only 13, and a lot of their lyrics were probably a tiny bit inappropriate for a 13 year old, but whatever, I loved them. I played their first album so many times that I'm surprised the CD didn't wear out after a couple of months. In 2007 they released their second album, and I loved it just as much as the first. The sound was slightly different, it was more upbeat and borderline -electro than their first offereing, but I still loved every single track on the album.
In 2008, my dream came true, when I got to see them live, they were flawless performers, and sang every one of my favourite songs.

My obsession strengthened, and I was extremely excited when their third album was released last year. I listened to it eagerly, excited to find a new song that I obsess over..and I found it. I liked a few other songs on the album, but the entire thing didn't grip me as the first two had. The sound was definitely different, and I was forced to pretend that about half of the album didn't even exist. This saddened me slightly, but I just continued to hope that maybe the album would grow on me one day, in the meantime, I was entirely focused on a certain other band, and these old favourites of mine had slipped down to #3 on my most loved bands list.

Fast-forward to about 6 days ago, when I have the misfortune of turning on the radio, and hearing this band's latest song. Oh no. At first I find it unrecognizable as a song of their's: gone are the heartfelt vocals and jazz-infused rock beats, and in their place is a commercial dance beat, overlayed by poppy, repetitive lyrics. Put simply, it's just not a very good song. For commercial music, it's alright, much like every other song out there right now, and I guess that's why they did it. I'm highly disappointed in my third favourites, and have in fact relegated them all the way down to number 10 on my list. I guess all I can do now is wait patiently, and hope that they pick up their old sound again next time they record an album...in the meantime, I'll be sitting back listening to their first, and that, friends, may be all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment