Thursday, August 18, 2011

Haal Asem Kwagga Tour In Gtown

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending a live show, yay! Since so few bands grace Grahamstown with their presence, I was definitely excited. The line-up of the Haal Asem Kwagga Tour consisted of Zebra & Giraffe, whom I'd seen twice prviously, and Van Coke Kartel, who I wasn't very familiar with, but I was still excited to see them perform.

Lauren and I went creeping at 7pm, to acquire tickets, after which we left the venue, to be spared the horror of being the only people there. We finally went back for good at around 9.30pm, but still had quite a wait before the first band played. 

The audience for Zebra & Giraffe was small but enthusiastic, and if a band can get students - who are usually apathetic towards not only music, but life in general- headbanging to every song, they must be doing something right! There's no denying that Zebra & Giraffe are a talented band, frontman Greg Carlin is a fantastic vocalist, and the band has a polished, professional sound which could take them far in the music world. I thoroughly enjoyed their set. Afterwards, I forced Lauren to abandon all of her ingrained journalistic professionalism and accompany me to ask Greg for a photo. He obliged willingly, seeming to be impressed that we were both tall enough to stand next to him without looking like midgets.
Greg Carlin of Zebra & Giraffe

Next up were Van Coke Kartel, and seeing I had no idea what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised. This band really knows how to rock out, and their enthusiasm had the entire crowd dancing along, even if not everyone knew all the words to the songs. I couldn't help but smile all the way through their set, it's obvious that these guys love performing, the stage is where they belong!


All in all, I had a great evening, it was definitely R50 well spent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment